Monday, March 7, 2011

Spinach au Gratin a la Minnie (Miss Helene Villere)


6 bunches of spinach (no idea how much is in a bunch. I just got a lot)

cream sauce (no idea what kind or how much. I used 2/3rs of a jar of Classico Alfredo)

1/2 lb cheese (no idea what kind. I grated whatever hard cheeses were in my fridge)

hard-boiled eggs (no idea how many. I ended up with 5)

Bread Crumbs
Butter


Pluck the veins and stems thoroughly from the spinach, boil it in a minimum of water, then press it through a colander and whip it well. (No idea what "whip it well" means, but I laughed really hard as I beat the spinach in the colander)

Dissolve the cheese in the cream sauce, In a baking-dish, put a layer of spinach, then a layer of the sliced hard-boiled eggs (3 or 4 slices to one egg) then a layer of sauce. Repeat until the dish is filled. Top with bread-crumbs, dotted with butter, and bake. Spinach as angels would eat it!

(Happy angles for sure! Since this was all over the place, I took a few liberties. I put a layer of spinach, then crumbled all the eggs and made a layer, then the Alfredo sauce, then the cheese, then more spinach, then bread crumbs, then butter and baked till I saw bubbling...about 30 minutes at 350. This was a delicious "vegetable" dish that cracked me up!)


Natalie Scott & Caroline Merrick Jones, "Gourmet's Guide to New Orleans" 1933

No comments:

Post a Comment